Protecting SW strings?

Subject: Protecting SW strings?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:17:25 -0400

Mats Broberg reports: <<When localizing products at our company, I need to both translate the SW strings inside the product... and translate the manual. Since the manual refers to things you can do in the software, a subset of the SW strings are always used in body texts, captions, tables etc when referring to the software and to screenshots. Obviously one needs 100 % identity between how the strings are translated in the camera SW and how they are translated in the manual.>>

Definitely, and congratulations to your company for caring enough to sweat the details.

<<The former approach was that we first translated the SW strings in Excel sheets, then - when I used strings in the documentation - I marked up these with "bold" or something like that. When the translation company was to translate a manual, they told the translators to check the Excel sheets every time they found something marked up with "bold".>>

I've never understood why people use Excel for working with words. If you've already got Office, put the strings into Word instead. That lets you do a few things you can't do in Excel: do a proper spellcheck, use a kickass Find and Replace function, and use Revision Tracking. The latter is possibly most important, because using the "find next change" function lets your contractors quickly find all changes--much less risk of missing a change. For each change they find, they can then act accordingly (e.g., update their translation).

All these tools are godsends to an editor or writer. And if you store the information in tables, you can export the tables as tab-delimited, unformatted text: just save the file as "text". You can then import it easily into Excel if your system is set up to use Excel, or into any other system that supports this file format.

<<However, seeing that we translate camera SW and manuals to 17 languages, and there are about 15,000-20,000 localized SW strings and 250+ manuals, even just a few translators forgetting to check the Excel sheets now and then results in several manuals where some of the strings in body texts, captions, tables etc does not match the strings in the screenshots>>

If you use the approach I suggested, break the file into several tables or use multiple files, since Word doesn't always handle such large tables well. In terms of "checking the sheets", there are two issues here. First, there's the translator's professionalism; it's _their_ responsibility to check for changes and update any translations already underway. Second, there's the issue of updating any translation memories so that subsequent translations reflect any changes.

The trick is to ask _them_ how you can make this easy and foolproof. They should be most familiar with their translation tools, and thus, most able to point you in the right direction. Of course, if you and your colleagues are equally knowledgable, then you can define a good technique and enforce the use of that technique by anyone who wants to keep working for you.

<<In the source XML data for manuals, we changed all strings in the manuals to dynamic variables. At the point of formatting, these variables retrieve correct translations from a string library (converted to XML from the Excel sheets). Before going to the translation company and TRADOS, these variables get "notranslate" tags and are converted to "internal strings" in TRADOS. The syntax is, eg., "N0001.Browse_for_folder" where "N0001" is a dummy namespace so that different translations of "Browse for folder" on different platforms can co-exist in the string library.>>

Here, I'm way outside my depth, since I don't use TRADOS. Hope someone else can help! But based on the problems you reported, it sounds like this isn't the way to go. Something kludgier but easier to implement (placing the responsibility for dealing with changed terminology on the translator) might be the best solution.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com