Re: How many have Bachelor's degree?

Subject: Re: How many have Bachelor's degree?
From: John Fleming <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:33:20 -0600

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:39:12 -0000 (GMT), while chained to a desk in the
scriptorium, nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh ("Nora Merhar") wrote:

> $I have an MA in Technical Writing, and
> $have been told a couple of times by companies that they liked to have
> $people with advanced degrees working there (it makes them look good to
> $customers, I guess).

Reminds me of something I read many years ago on economic history.

During the dirty 30s, Merrill Lynch started hiring people with degrees
as stockbrokers, and was the first company to do this.

It wasn't that the degree was necessary to doing the job--it wasn't.
It's not that a degree made the candidates more knowledgable about the
stock market--it didn't necessarily.

The reason had to do with the way people with degrees were viewed.
People tended to view them as somehow smarter or more knowledgable,
hence, better able to manage an investor's money.

So, to tie this into technical writing, if a degree in general, or a
technical writing degree specifically, makes it easier to convice a
potential client or employer that we can do the job, then there is a
benefit to having the degree.

John Fleming
Technical Writer
Edmonton, Alberta

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com