Re: How many have Bachelor's degree?

Subject: Re: How many have Bachelor's degree?
From: "Nora Merhar" <nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:39:12 -0000 (GMT)

I think that having a degree in SOMETHING can't hurt. I am sure that many
employers use the presence of a degree on a resume as a weeding-out
tool--especially in these times. My boyfriend (a UNIX system admin and
programmer with a fair amount of Linux experience, plus other valuable
experience) has "some college" on his resume, plus a number of
certifications (MCSE, Sun certified system administrator, Sun certified
network administrator) and had quite a hard time getting interviews during
a year of unemployment. I think a degree might have helped him get a few
more interviews during that time. I have an MA in Technical Writing, and
have been told a couple of times by companies that they liked to have
people with advanced degrees working there (it makes them look good to
customers, I guess).

So if you don't have a degree, and your current employer will pay for it,
why not go back to school? Nothing beats demonstrated ability (there are
certainly many degreed morons), but in order to really demonstrate that
ability, you have to get the interview, and I do think the degree helps
with that.

Nora
--
Nora
nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com