Re: PR/TW Help

Subject: Re: PR/TW Help
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:47:30 -0400

At 08:32 PM 4/12/2004, you wrote:

Do any of you have experience in public relations? Have you ever been asked to step in and help with press releases or other public relations projects? In your opinion, would technical writers benefit from public relations training in addition to technical writing training?

I think it is a very important skill set. I've done press releases and an occasional marketing campaign for clients, as well as trade show displays and marketing presentations. The same skills have been useful in marketing my own freelance business.

I did get some training in PR. The Rochester Institute of Technology has two certificate (not certification <grin>) programs in Basic and Advanced Technical Communication. When I was in the program, there was a required course in Publicity and Public Relations in the Advanced TC curriculum that provided a very good introduction to the field, and exercises that gave us portfolio samples of press releases, radio/TV public service announcements, filler articles, short speeches, and presentations for press conferences (also useful for trade show booths). The program has changed somewhat in the ten years since I participated, but I believe there is still a PR/Marketing component in it somewhere.

Kat Nagel
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

585-820-4045

MasterWork Consulting
http://www.masterworkconsulting.com

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com