Re: Need some help for SRS

Subject: Re: Need some help for SRS
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:15:49 -0600

eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

My initial reaction to this post was a sarcastic "Google It!". Which is a knee jerk reaction I have been suppressing with regards to a number of questions to the list lately.

On this I'd agree--it's simply more efficient to Google than
to ask for a number of questions.

Unfortunately, this rank amateur question also gives more fodder to those disgusted by off-shoring to India. While I am usually a defender of open borders, international competition (after all much of my work as a Canadian has been down to me being cheaper than American equivalents), and helping fellow professionals this is getting ridiculous. If the simplistic requests continue or multiply, I fear more TECHWR_L participants will become jaded and we will begin to lose the wonderful resource of the help, support, and guidance of thousands of fellow professionals. Past history has already shown, through cyclic peaks in students requesting the list complete their homework assignment, that TECHWR-L as a group can be pushed over the edge and become quite snarky.

Here we part ways...I understand your point, and acknowledge that
use of TECWR-L as a first source, rather than to address more
intractible problems, doesn't reflect well on the poster, and
it often frustrates regular posters. (Your student example is
accurate and well-taken.)

However, I strongly object to the implication that some questions
about technical writing aren't appropriate, and even more so to the
implication that some questions are below TECHWR-L--they shouldn't
even be asked if the poster doesn't know that much. That's simply
exclusionary and inappropriate.

If we stretch a bit, we can probably come up with a number of
absolutely valid reasons that a seemingly obvious question might
be asked, and should be answered. I'd suggest we should be a
bit charitable and try to do so. For example, just to provide
some ideas for the thread in question:
- Perhaps SRS was presented out of context...that TLA certainly
applies to more than one document.
- Perhaps there's a linguistic issue that prevents a more thorough
or clear question. That certainly was the case for me when I was
learning a foreign language--I couldn't produce a "good" question,
even though I could understand the answer.
- Perhaps there's a cultural issue that affects how the question
is phrased. That often leads to miscommunication, and doesn't
at all reflect an inappropriate question. I've seen it happen
with many different cultures.
- Perhaps Send was clicked on an incomplete message. It's happened
to all of us at least once.
- Perhaps it really was a dumb question that should have been
more thoroughly researched--it wouldn't be the first time
that's happened. I've done it. Who here hasn't?

Really, folks, what's wrong with giving people the benefit
of the doubt, or just hitting delete? Does it always have to
be a battle--and does it always have to get back to offshoring?
Wouldn't you want people to cut you some slack on occasion?

Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com