Re: Techwr-L and Good Will

Subject: Re: Techwr-L and Good Will
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 05:00:22 -0600

David Demyan wrote:

Bless me, listmaster, for I have sinned....

Just to clarify, you're not pleading to the listowner--you're
pleading to a rather vocal, hopefully small, minority of

I have been tempted to retort to list posters of all origin when I felt
the question to be beneath me. I have wondered if by answering a
simple question from a poor lost soul I would somehow unwittingly
jeopardize my own job in the future by sharing basic knowledge
and skills that I took for granted as being required for admittance
to my *profession.* Indeed, I held my own prejudices and used
the fear of *offshoring* as my excuse.

It's absolutely open to anyone in the world with an
interest in the field, and anyone in the world is welcome
to participate. It wasn't and isn't designed as an exclusive
club for those who are in to exclude those who are out,
nor is it or should it be a means of (directly or obliquely)
excluding or marginalizing people in the field from
other countries.

But then I saw the light. I pledge as a good citizen of Techwr-L
to respond to some of the newbie questions by private return
email. I will not embarrass myself or the newbie by lashing out
in the public forum of Techwr-L (where I would surely earn
official censure anyway).

Again to clarify, official censure in this forum doesn't
follow as a result of being cooperative and helpful--it
does follow as a result of being asocial and rude. It's
certainly true that some questions could well be answered
in private mail, but that need not be so--replying to the
list is equally acceptable.

Jeez, folks, does anyone really think it is cool to belong to this
club if we have to be nasty to be a member?
David B. Demyan, Technical Writer
CopperCom

Now that's the interesting question, and a good way to put it.
I'd love to have an answer.

Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com