RE: To Space or not to Space

Subject: RE: To Space or not to Space
From: "Ronica Roth" <rroth -at- globusandcosmos -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 11:31:03 -0600

<Lucy quoted The Complete Manual of Typography by James Felici, pg 80>

I just want to add my two cents (penny per space) that I always
associated the difference with journalism (my original background). In
newspapering, every smidgen of space is sacred and expensive, and so
many of the styles of js relate to saving space: It was always a single
space between sentences, when the rest of the world was using two; no
periods ised in acronyms (not acronyms, but those other all-cap
abbreviations, like CIA, which I can't think of the word for right now);
and more.

Of course, now I realize that the difference does have typesetting at
its root: However we were writing the stories (typewriters, computers),
they were always typeset in the end. How funny.

Back to the modern TECH world. I continue to see both styles, although
one space dominates. I was a journalist so long that I find it virtually
impossible to type to periods after a sentence. If that's what an
immovable style calls for, I search/replace every doc to get it right ;)

Ronica Roth
Technical Writer
Group Voyagers Inc.
303.703.7093