modify Heading style in Word

Subject: modify Heading style in Word
From: "Ronica Roth" <rroth -at- globusandcosmos -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:06:52 -0600

This question is really a follow-up to the thread about changing the
"Normal" style in MS Word.

In the spirit of the excellent suggestions then, I have created a new
.dot for us to use with user documentation. I went a step further than
creating Body Text (based on <none> and followed by body text). I
created all new heading styles, too. Call them 'My Style 1' through 'My
Style 3'. These, too, are based on <none> and followed by 'body text'.
Like others, I did all this to minimize the chance of my styles being
overwritten.

Here's the problem. I'd also really like to do lots of
cross-referencing. But of course, Word will only let you cross-reference
a bookmark or a heading (and some other, irrelevant things). But it
doesn't read 'My Style' as a heading.

So, I either bookmark every item I want to reference (ugh!), or I go
back to using 'Heading 1' etc for my headings.

The question then is: what are the down sides to messing with the
Heading styles in my template?

If you know a good xref workaround, that would be great, too, but
extensive search of archives here and at Word-pc don't leave me hopeful.

Thanks.

Ronica Roth
Technical Writer
Group Voyagers Inc.
rroth -at- globusandcosmos -dot- com

Note: 4 MB inbound email limit
copies of the original message.

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com