RE: To Index or not to Index

Subject: RE: To Index or not to Index
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:20:59 -0500

I sent this message directly to Dan so I wouldn't sound like a know-it-all
to everyone on the list. However, from his positive reaction to it, I got
the feeling that it isn't a bad thing to send the message to the list in
general. Maybe others who are new to indexing will find some of the advice
helpful.

As I told Dan in my reply to him, if you would like to see one of my
indexes, please go to our web site: http://www.zebra.com/SS/manuals.htm

Click on the XiIII Plus User Guide (you'll have to fill out a registration
to get to the PDF). That manual includes and index that I did recently, and
it's fairly detailed. You'll see most of what I mentioned in the list below
in action there. (I didn't write most of this particular manual, but I did
redo the index.) Looking back at this index, I see that I violated some of
my own rules a time or two, but at least most of it follows...

Cheers!
Donna