Formal proofreading (was: punctuation in bullet text)

Subject: Formal proofreading (was: punctuation in bullet text)
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 19:15:51 -0400

On Fri, 7 May 2004 11:39:06 -0400, David Chinell <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com> wrote:

Proofreading literally means reading a document without
audio. It is used to: ...

I've done a different kind of two-man formal proofreading. My dad's
newspaper ran "legal" ads, and it was necessary to ensure that each
ad exactly matched the copy provided by the lawyer's office or the
government agency that placed the ad. That meant the copy had to
match error-for-error if need be!

One person read the original aloud, speaking the punctuation, while
the other scanned the typeset copy. Or was it vice-versa? I don't
remember.

If the ad were wrong in print it not only had to be run again for free,
but the error could result in a change of the court date and perhaps
some irate people.

"All caps COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS new line initial caps
Middlesex Superior Court comma lower ss period new graph cap
To all persons interested in the estate of ..."

I used to know what that "ss" was for. Anybody remember?

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com