Re: question about contracting

Subject: Re: question about contracting
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 16:06:31 -0400

Rachael Lininger wrote:

Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

I was in your EXACT position in 1993. And you know what I did. I went and
bought a book on SQL and learned databases at night...

Am I right in guessing that you have a knack for databases? There are people who
do and people who don't; while one shouldn't always say "I can't do it" when something new crops up, there are times when one just knows that one really can't.
do a particular kind of thing. Someone who gets crosseyed at SQL might happily jump into something else.

IMHO database concepts are not hard, but they are not self-evident either, and if you want to self-study, there is a real lack of good beginner-level documentation out there. Whatever I know about databases I learned on the job. If I wanted/needed to become more expert I'd have to do exactly what Andrew describes.

There are lots of books that will walk you through all the config options of Oracle or SQL Server or whatever. But I never really found a good resource for Data Modeling 101 (although I'm sure there are some).

FYI, you can teach yourself simple SQL queries by using Access (avoid the wizards; use the SQL interface).

Mike O.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com