PDFs in PageMaker

Subject: PDFs in PageMaker
From: "Liz Goodwin" <Liz -dot- Goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:13:33 -0400

Mike Jueneman wrote:
I'm still having problems making a PDF out of a
PageMaker Document. Actually, it's a book consisting
of 6 different chapters/sections. If I try them one
at a time, I can create PDFs with no problem. I can
even create a book with 5 out of the six sections
attached, but when I try to add the sixth and final
section I get the "Can not send Post Script to
Distiller" error message. I've even tried adding the
missing section (an index) into the appendix by adding
a few pages and using the copy/paste functions but I
still get an error. Any thoughts?PDFs in PageMaker

We use Pagemaker's Book function for our manuals and we sometimes encounter
this error. Here are two of the things we have tried with success.

Since you have narrowed it down to an offending chapter, the best thing to
do is eliminate possible problems one by one. The problem is probably with
a graphic or table or some other non-text element. If you can, remove all
of the graphics from the chapter that isn't converting, and then add them
back one by one, creating a pdf after each one is added back. If you have a
rogue graphic, it will create a pdf until the point at which you add that
graphic back. Then you need to replace that graphic with another one, or
eliminate it.

If you don't have graphics in the chapter, my suggestion would be to create
a new document and copy the information from the "bad" chapter into the new
document. Do NOT use Save As to copy the document - create a brand new
document. Open both documents and under View, select Fit in Window for
each. Then, under Window, click on Tile to bring both documents onto the
screen at once. Copy and paste the information from the bad chapter into
the new chapter. Try Export to Adobe PDF on just that chapter to see if it
will distill alone. Then add it to the book and see if you can create a pdf
for all of the book.

If neither of these solutions work . . . have you tried creating a
postscript file by printing to file and then distilling it with Acrobat
Distiller? Does that work?

Liz Goodwin
Technical Writer, Process Instruments
AMETEK, P&AI
liz -dot- goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com

"In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should
have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke
Bruce

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com