RE: RE: RE: Why WYSIWYG for XML???

Subject: RE: RE: RE: Why WYSIWYG for XML???
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:47:20 -0700

There's been a lot of talk about some writers being stuck in a WYSIWYG
world. Well, I should think so. It's the fastest way to see what
'container' or 'envelope' we've stuck that bit of content in -- and
that's the same for Word, FM, InDesign and all the flavours of SGML and
children.

What other people seem stuck on is the idea of "our template" ...
Ummm... The joy of HTML/XML separate style sheets is that the ARE
separate from the content and you can use what you need to get the job
done. As long as the style names stay the same what does it matter what
the definitions are? I use a different set of style definitions for
writing content than I use for final check-through (retinal burn
anyone?) And a different one again is used for the final webpages
(static or database driven), plus sometimes, another one for printing
from the website.

Walking code to see the container? Shiver. Do enough of that to fix
Word-generated HTML.

Watching the style sidebar (as in Word) to see the container and no
visible differentiation? Eight hours into a 12 hour day at the computer?
Do enough of that to make sure Word hasn't messed things up.

Long live WYSIWYG!

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca