FW: Semantic markup for tabular data

Subject: FW: Semantic markup for tabular data
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:15:49 -0400

Ah. So you're saying that I'd have picked one set of items...
probably our products... and bashed the hell out of each one
with all possible bits of metadata that define where it fits
and doesn't fit in the greater scheme of "platforms the customer
might have".

Then I make an app that dynamically builds just the table
that the customer needs, by matching his input to any
data item that has the matching metadata attached. ?

But, I can no longer publish the old-style table? Release
Notes and compatibility listings can no longer be PDFs
or printed docs? I suppose that's acceptable. Except,
I have to get that app developed before I even begin to
convert the data, because once I stop being able to
publish my old, readable table, I have to have the working
replacement ready to go.

/kevin

Dick Margulis said:
[...]
> Instead, picture a situation where the "document" "knows"
> what systems
> your customer has and matches that information with the
> attribute tags
> you've added to your product list (in a database, say). Now the
> "document" (I'm guessing an html document by the time it gets to the
> customer's browser, although it will have passed through some
> XML stuff
> in the middle) shows the customer a short list, perhaps a two-level
> bulleted list, of your compatible products with the list of
> his systems
> subbed under each. Or some other format, including a tabular
> one, but in
> any case none of your concern. Your job is just to get the attributes
> tagged, and the DTD takes care of the rest.

> Am I close?

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com