RE: waking up to the world of Technical Writing

Subject: RE: waking up to the world of Technical Writing
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:37:00 -0400

> <snip>
> To writers and UI designers both I say this: You are the waiter, not
> the dinner. I want you to be attentive when I need you, and out of
> sight when I don't. Central to my experience are my meal and my
> companion. Your job is to make sure that I get to enjoy them in peace.

> </snip>

OK...along those lines.

Two couples go out to dinner. One couple goes to the local Sizzler and
the other couple go to the Palm Steakhouse in New York City. At both
restaurants, they order the top quality steak on the menu.

At the Sizzler, the waiter is a young lady who does this on summer break
and this is her second summer waitressing.
At the Palm (http://www.thepalm.com/), you waiter has been doing this
for 30 years and is a real pro...if you've ever been to the Palm in NYC,
you know the type of waiter.

Is one couple going to enjoy their experience more than the other? Is
the difference in enjoyment ONLY due to the quality of the steak?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com