RE: Field definitions

Subject: RE: Field definitions
From: "Norcross, Amanda" <Amanda -dot- Norcross -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:19:57 -0700

Emily Allen wrote:

**************
I'm just curious about how people document fields that are not used within
procedures.

Example:
We generally like to list the field name and a description of the field when
users must enter data into that field. In the past, we have also included
field names that are not used in our company or for a particular SAP
transaction. Recently, I've been thinking about not including these unused
fields so that users just get the information that they need and to
eliminate unnecessary information. Any thoughts?
***************

Our technical writing group handles this by separating the window
descriptions from the procedures. The window descriptions act as reference
material, providing a detailed description of every field, button, etc. in
each window. The procedure tells the user how to perform a task, giving them
just the information they need to know about the window to perform that
task. The window descriptions and procedures are always in separate
chapters/sections, but we always make sure to provide a link between the
procedure and related windows and vice versa.

Amanda

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com