RE: Field definitions

Subject: RE: Field definitions
From: David Demyan <ddemyan -at- coppercom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:09:30 -0400

Emily asked:
We generally like to list the field name and a description of the field when
users must enter data into that field. In the past, we have also included
field names that are not used in our company or for a particular SAP
transaction. Recently, I've been thinking about not including these unused
fields so that users just get the information that they need and to
eliminate unnecessary information. Any thoughts?

***************
We just went through this exercise where I work. The prevailing theory
was not to document unused fields. Well, we heard plenty of feedback
on that, especially from users in training. If it's on the GUI, they will
expect to get an explanation, even if they don't need it now. Why should
they ignore it? What happens if I make a mistake and put something in
the field? Why is it on the GUI if I don't need it? So, in the interest
of completeness and abundant technical detail, we are now including a
description of all fields, whether they are used for the procedure or
not.

Dave Demyan

NOTE: This message, including any attachments, may include privileged,
confidential and/or inside information. Any distribution or use of this
communication by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from
your system. Thank you.

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com