RE: Free, powerful graphics tool

Subject: RE: Free, powerful graphics tool
From: David Castro <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 06:08:29 -0700 (PDT)

"Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> Yeah, Yahoo. You make up a new alias and email, use it once,
> then delete it so future spam sent to it hard bounces.

Rather than going through the whole process of setting up a Yahoo account,
you can use the service provided by Spamex (http://www.spamex.com) to create
throwaway email addresses. I've used it for over a year, and love it. You can
create a specific email address (such as vendorname -at- spamex -dot- com) to be able to
recognize it easily, or you can let it create one automatically (which will
be something like xv4F-YGgx -at- spamex -dot- com). You can send emails, including
attachments, through their very simple web interface, so that emails
originate from the address you set up. When an email gets forwarded to your
main email address through your spamex email address, and you reply to it, the
reply gets sent through the Spamex service and the from address is changed to
your Spamex address.

I saw the other day that Yahoo seems to have added a feature like this to
their account (at least, the paid account, which I have), though I haven't
tried it yet. I'll probably stick with Spamex, since I've got so many email
addresses set up (I believe their limit for the $9.99/year account is 3,000
addresses).

I've only had to turn off a handful of addresses during the time I've used
the service, but those that I had to turn off would really be cluttering up my
inbox if I had provided my real email address.

One last thing: Yahoo's spam filtering frequently has false positives (real
email getting put into the bulk email folder). When you use Spamex, you can
put "@spamex.com" into your White List to bypass your spam filter. Since you
can
turn off any of the spamex accounts as necessary, you don't need to worry
about real spam coming through (unless a spammer uses a spamex.com account, of
course).

I'm not associated with Spamex in any way except as a happy customer.

-David Castro
email [at] davidcastro [dot] com (or techwr-l -at- spamex -dot- com :-)
http://www.davidcastro.com

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com