RE: ITIL

Subject: RE: ITIL
From: "Katherine Hinchey" <khinchey -at- houston -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:46:49 -0500

In a previous job of mine, our entire IT department adopted ITIL as
their standard. So, they mandated that all employees receive training on
ITIL. You can see where this is going . . . I wrote the training manuals
and trained their groups on ITIL, and how it affected each of their jobs
and work processes. Another popular methodology that competes with ITIL
(and yet, is similar to ITIL)is Six Sigma.

ITIL is a public-domain framework that was developed in the late 1980s,
originally by the British government. It has been widely adopted by
European companies, and North American companies are increasingly
adopting ITIL.

For what it's worth, I know that over 10,000 companies have adopted ITIL
in all or parts of their IT departments, including:
- The Internal Revenue Service
- AT&T
- Aetna
- Microsoft