Re: PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac: Convert to PC

Subject: Re: PageMaker 6.5 on a Mac: Convert to PC
From: "Kat Nagel (lists only)" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:26:27 -0400

At 8:53 AM -0700 2004/06/25, Daniel Fisher wrote:

I have an old Mac with a treasure trove of product literature on it from
times past. I would like to convert the PageMaker files for use on my PC.
Ideally, I'd be able to convert the source files. If I have to buy some
software to facilitate the conversion, I'd do it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this procedure?

Yup. I just did something like that for an old client who <boggle> finally decided to upgrade from his old Mac SE </boggle>.

Unfortunately, every new version of PageMaker drops conversion support for another ancient version. So, satisfying the client involved serial transfers from a very early version of PageMaker on his SE to a not-quite-so-old version of PageMaker on my Centris 650, then to PageMaker 4.something on my PowerMac 8500 and then into PageMaker 6.0 on my TiBook running Classic (haven't used PM since I upgraded to OS X and InDesign). At that point, I burned the files to a CD.

From there, he was able to read the files in the latest version of PageMaker on his spiffy new G5. (I knew those old machines would come in handy some day.)

--

K@
Kat Nagel,

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com