RE: Formats for cross-platform documentation?

Subject: RE: Formats for cross-platform documentation?
From: "Colin Ramsden" <colin -at- ramsden -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:13:38 +1000

Joel

Doesn't sound like you're looking for an expensive answer.
For the record, I'm happy to go the low-tech (and low expensive) route with
FrontPage for HTML and web production. However, this doesn't provide an
(easy) option for printed manuals.

If you wish to stick with conventional document editors and go the printed
option route, you'll need to invest in a tool that can produce print output.
Since most modern print-houses can print from (appropriately formatted) PDF
output, a tool which outputs PDF will also provide you with a printed manual
solution.

Troff and DocBook are XML technologies which can produce outputs in any
format you wish, (HTML and/or PDF and/or whatever) however, you'll need to
choose appropriate document structure and tag your data as XML compliant to
DTD or XSD standards.

If you don't know what these terms mean, (as you stated) you should try
searching for more information on the web using a search tool such as
google:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=XML+tools+web+print

Colin Ramsden.