What type of documentation suite to create?

Subject: What type of documentation suite to create?
From: "Nadine Underwood" <nadine -dot- underwood -at- orchard-systems -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:16:32 +0100

Hi

I need to create some documentation for a new product. The documentation
needs to include:

* Sections on the "basic tasks" for everyday users of the system -
procedural, step-by-step instructions with screen shots to illustrate
* Sections on "advanced tasks" for more advanced users
* Sections on technical system architecture for techies

Now, I can't make up my mind whether to have 3 separate documents, or
one manual with the three separate parts divided by tabs. I am uneasy
about putting them all together, as the novice users who just need the
basic tasks sections, will be put off when they see the size of the
thing and some of the more technical aspects of it. However, if I was to
keep it separate they would be duplication as the basic tasks would need
to be included in the advanced tasks sections.
Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, Nadine

Nadine Underwood
Orchard Information Systems Limited, Newcastle Technopole,
Kings Manor, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom.
Registered in England, Number 1900078
Tel: +44 (0)191-203 2500 Fax: +44 (0)191-230 2515
http://www.orchard-systems.co.uk <http://www.orchard-systems.co.uk/>

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com