RE: Denver Contracting

Subject: RE: Denver Contracting
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:50:55 -0700

>Can you give me an example (anyone) of a stupid NDA?

>I have one example...We were not allowed to disclose the
>layout of our buildings, production lines, and "any surrounding
>structure or layout that facilitates employee movement
>on or about the property."

Man, must be hard to give directions to a lost visitor!

Most NDAs I've signed have been reasonable and well written; however,
one stands out as an exception. Used by a small tech startup, it
apparently had been photocopied from an agreement that likely had a
boilerplate agreement somewhere in its ancestry. Very far back in its
ancestry. Somewhere along the line, it had been retyped and in the list
of 'relationships' the agreement was binding on, a comma had been
inserted between 'parent' and 'company'. That was the funny part. It got
much worse. Someone along the line had made changes to the leagalese
and it ended up the agreement could be concluded ONLY by both parties
agreeing and ONLY on the anniversary date, otherwise it went on and on.
Until it was concluded, neither of us could do business with anyone
either of us had ever done business with.

Needless to say I didn't sign and sent it back with comments. The work I
was contracted to do was completed before the NDA was fixed. Never did
sign it.

:-)

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com