Re: Another FrameMaker question

Subject: Re: Another FrameMaker question
From: Jaco Swart <jaco -dot- swart -at- tait -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:14:32 +1200

Bruce Byfield wrote:

Quoting Jaco Swart <jaco -dot- swart -at- tait -dot- co -dot- nz>:
1. Does Writer stand up to monster documents?

Yes. Unlike MS Word's, its master document feature works reliably. I have a
document of over 800 pages and about 25 files (and growing) that has never
crashed nor given me the slightest trouble.

2. Does Writer do reliable numbered headings? (I'm thinking about the horrors of MS Word's buggy heading numbers here.)

Yes. You may remember that the way to get reliable numbering in MS World is to
use fields? Well, in Writer, automatic numbering and bullets are placed in
fields from the start.
Thanks, Bruce. 800 stable pages sounds good to me :-)

I did not realise that OOo implemented numbering with fields.

By coincidence, I've published a current article on the
subject that you can find at:

www.linuxjournal.com

It should be five or six articles from the top by now.

A worthwhile read.

I don't know which one I would judge better, because I haven't tallied up the
different points of comparison yet. However, I suspect that the final verdict is
going to be close.

The important thing for me, is to have a viable alternative to Frame.

rgds
Jaco

addressee. It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com