Re: STC Transformation -- info

Subject: Re: STC Transformation -- info
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:34:24 -0400

T.W. Smith wrote:

You have a very good point there. So, what's the fix?

Picking up on Bonnie's line of thought, because I agree with what she has been saying in this thread, ...

There is an axiom among psychotherapists that you cannot treat a successful narcissist. I think that applies here. Until the cat in question begins to feel pain and can be persuaded to recognize that pain as a consequence of his or her own prior actions, you really can't do much except stand back and watch the self-immolation proceed. Well, you can do something: you can don your flame-retardant suit, consisting mostly of the oft-recommended trail of CYA memos.

I've recounted more than once my truth-to-power approach in these situations. Yes, I have to pay my bills and cannot afford to quit a job just because I don't approve of the way the company manages its affairs. Yes, I've been suckered into situations that turned out to be not as advertised. But I've never been undervalued. The reason is that I stand up for my convictions and escalate the important issues until they are resolved satisfactorily. I've certainly been accused of insubordination (and rightly so), but I've so far usually been successful in pointing out that what I wanted to do made more sense for the company more than what my nutso supervisor wanted to do. There has never been a company I've left, no matter how large, where the CEO didn't know me on a first-name basis. If I had imposed on myself the conventional advice to keep my head down and work it out with my immediate supervisor, I'd be as miserable a cur as a lot of folks on this list make themselves out to be.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com