Re: Zero value (was STC Transformation -- info)

Subject: Re: Zero value (was STC Transformation -- info)
From: peemo -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:20:28 -0600

Wendy said:

> My experience is that employers only undervalue technical writers
> because they don't understand the many ways in which we can contribute.
> They tend to think of technical writers as a convenience that they can
> do without if need be. <snip>
>
> In short, your value is only zero if you do nothing to enlighten those
> with the purse strings. It is your responsibility to prove your worth.

Wendy:

I have worked in many IT shops as a part of the development team. It may
be because employers don't value tech writers, but in my experience, it
was not the corporate culture that was to blame.

I can't speak for all, but I've found that many times developers have
little respect for those who are not developers. They don't expect you to
have answers, and logically, they hate spending time to give you theirs.

It takes awhile to gain enough knowledge that they come to you for
answers. I find if I can eek a bit of time for testing, I come up to
speed very quickly. When that time comes, I'm treated as well as any
other.

Pam

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com