RE: Best practice for Edition or Revision History

Subject: RE: Best practice for Edition or Revision History
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:51:41 -0600

Tammy -

Perhaps you can use as a model the method that is used when indicating
printing history in an ordinary book. In the front matter, where the
publisher's info, copyright, etc., are listed, you'll often see a little
line of seemingly random numbers (i.e., 45 46 47 48 49). I had no idea
what these numbers meant for a long time, until someone pointed out that it
indicated that this was the 49th printing of that book by that particular
publishing house.

Using that idea as a model, perhaps you can include in your revision history
chart a line for the document's origination (w/ the date, author, and other
pertinent info, etc.), followed by a line indicating a break in numbering
with a notation that earlier revision history may be found in an archived
copy (and a link/path for finding it), and then begin your revision history
list with, say, the last 3-5 revisions, in full, as you would normally
include them.

FWIW,