Re: The STC and me

Subject: Re: The STC and me
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:00:11 +0000

John Fleming wrote:

Though I would argue that most people who join the organization have
some interest in writing and/or technology and/or one or more subjects
that can be loosely grouped together under the heading of technical
communication.

In writing, certainly. Considering the number of English majors like me who have passed through the field, that's not surprising. I've heard many tech-writers say that the field appealed to them because it was a way of earning a living by writing.

In technology, more rarely. Everybody is surprised by a tech-writer who knows technology. I've found that my interest in Linux helps tremendously in getting the developers to accept me at a new place, and I amazed one team leader by filing a security bug; in twenty years, he said, he had never heard of a tech-writer knowing enough about security to do so.

What makes these observations all the more telling is that I only know what I've picked up on-the-fly about technology. If someone with my limited technical knowledge can impress developers as a knowledgeable tech-writer, it's obvious that their expectations are fairly low.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com