Re: Linux -- anybody got WINE working with Win2K?

Subject: Re: Linux -- anybody got WINE working with Win2K?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:49:46 +0000

Mailing List wrote:

There are still a couple of things
that I need from the Windows side, but I'd like to spend my days in Linux.
Therefore, I'd like to get WINE working.

Do you mind mentioning what you still need from Windows? I'm just curious - no better reason.

Has anybody been successful at using WINE to run applications from a Win2K
partition?

That probably depends on the file system. As you probably know, your chances are probably better with FAT32 than with NTFS.

And that, I'm afraid, is all the help I can give. I suspect that one of the reasons why you're not finding much information is that, in the last couple of years, programs on Linux have matured enough that, for many people, there's not a strong incentive to use WINE or a Windows emulator any more. I had VMware for a while, but I haven't used it since 2001, and didn't bother to upgrade my copy when it wouldn't support my kernel after a certain point.

But while I'm talking penguin, let me mention that if anybody out there is interested in trying Debian, they should try the .ISO image of the new Debian installer. One of the first things that the install program does is get your high speed Internet connection running. Then, apart from the base system, the install is done entirely over the Internet. The new installer takes Debian from being one of the hardest distros to install to being one of the easiest.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com