Linux -- anybody got WINE working with Win2K?

Subject: Linux -- anybody got WINE working with Win2K?
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:46:17 -0400

As the title says, I've got a dual-boot machine with SuSE Linux Pro 9.1 on
one side and Windows 2000 on the other. There are still a couple of things
that I need from the Windows side, but I'd like to spend my days in Linux.
Therefore, I'd like to get WINE working.

Has anybody been successful at using WINE to run applications from a Win2K
partition?

Days of Googling and reading have me running in circles. The FAQs all seem
to deal with Windows from 1998 (as in Win 95 or Win 98). I've found a few
threads where people asked questions similar to mine, but other than a few
high-level theoretical suggestions, all anybody seems to say is "Look at the
FAQ" or "Look at the man pages". There's not a clear distinction between
using Windows apps "in situ" and creating a ~/.wine/fake_windows directory
and running from there. I mean, it's clear that you are supposed to be able
do it either way... it's just not clear how to set up so that one or the
other actually works (with Win2K stuff, not Win98).

And before anybody suggests, yes I know that CrossOver Office is magical and
only costs about $40, but this is the office and I don't wanna pay out of
pocket. :-)

One of the disadvantages of open source stuff is that there is no "Mr. WINE"
to ask.

Anybody? If I get it working, I'll write it up.

Kevin

--
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be
privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected from disclosure. If

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com