RE: The STC and me

Subject: RE: The STC and me
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:24:27 -0400

written_by -at- juno -dot- com opined:

> Someone posted that there are not too many writers here that
> write about
> mundane topics like (I think) toaster ovens. I do, but I
> would not expect
> most STC group members to care about such topics and the
> boring subjects
> I prefer. I get the idea that perhaps today's technical
> writers believe
> such topics are far beneath them, so I am not sure how much I would be
> welcomed.

Er... I'd love to write about power tools, appliances, boats,
planes-trains-and-automobiles, earth-moving and mining
equipment, industrial lasers, MRI machines, X-ray and other
weld-testing equipment, welding equipment (especially the
fancy-shmancy stuff) printing presses[regular], printing
presses [banknote], boiler maintenance, wire-rope winding
machines, metalurgical processes and procedures, industrial
knitting and weaving equipment, new-and-improved construction
techniques and products, surveying equipment and techniques,
gun care and maintenance (sport and police/military), HVAC,
extraction technologies (various), conservation and recycling
techniques and business practices, alternative/natural farming
practices (i.e., anything that doesn't have Monsanto attached),
generalized product testing (a-la Consumer Reports),
the operation and maintenance manual for SpaceShipOne (or any
of the other X-prize contenders), tips, tricks and techniques
for firefighters, the latest sport parachutes, the latest
cargo-delivery parachutes, RFID scanners or RFID blockers,
medical and dental devices and techniques (diagnostic,
treatment, etc.), glass making (decorative and functional),
glass making (eyeglasses and optical instruments), service
and troubleshooting techniques for practically any industry,
owner manuals for bicycles (or the Wind Cheetah trike...
look it up it's neat www.windcheetah.co.uk), inline skates,
skis/bindings, scuba equipment, water makers (distillation,
osmotic, etc.), water purifiers (personal, household,
industrial/municipal),anything related to off-grid living
and private electrical generation, practically anything
(including sweeping the floors?) at LucasFilm, and much, much more...

But, they weren't hiring when I was looking for work (or at
least not anywhere near where I lived), and the people in the
computer, telecomms and security/crypto industries *were* hiring.
Here I is.

I don't know if I'm typical, but I wouldn't bother keeping
that chip on my shoulder... we save our disdain for other
things around here. :-)

Kevin
--
The following text added by my employer, outside my control:
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com