Re: The STC and me--Financials

Subject: Re: The STC and me--Financials
From: Karen L. Zorn <k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:40:01 -0400

I asked a person who's in the know regarding the transformation & fiscals "how many folks work at STC HQ?" Here's the answer forwarded with the responder's permission.

" 6 or so. The ops money is (I believe) tied up in grants for conferences all
over the country, and in the officers' travel, including board meetings for
about 30 people. The officer travel budgets have been slashed by a minimum
of 80% to reduce the ops budget. It also funds software to manage budgetary
stuff, reporting and so forth. It is not tied up in people. It's actually
tied up in the operations of a volunteer organization. People incur expenses
even though they are not being paid. Some costs are communications costs.
STC telephone and satellite costs must be astronomical. Trying to keep
cohesiveness in an organization of 16,0000+ people is a huge issue and
solved, in part, through money.

"STC budgets and fiscal reporting is actually an area of legitimate concern.
However, technical communicators are not known for their sophistication in
reading financials. I have spent years working with people, showing them
balance sheets, and trying to explain why profit and cash are two separate
issues. It isn't easy to grip, especially if you are not comfortable with
taking intuitive leaps. After looking at our financials last year, I became
alarmed. I found that the transformation arose out of concern for the fiscal
and the actual viability of the organization.

"Some of the money is going to fund this transformation effort, which has
taken outside expertise to assist. It isn't a lot, but a little here, and a
little there adds up.

"The publications budget is actually being reduced, but must be reduced
gradually as people opt for electronic versions, I believe.

"STC got into trouble years before the current board took over. They
literally inherited the results of 'business as usual,' which worked as long
as there was a lot of cash floating around."

Hope this adds a little more light to the discussion.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ
107 & very sunny