Re: The STC and me

Subject: Re: The STC and me
From: Karen L. Zorn <k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:44:52 -0400

Chuck Martin wrote:

> I think that if it were an "optional" thing, it would be phrased
> something like this:
>
> "One possibility under discussion is to allow members to receive STC
> publications online, rather than printed."
>
> The way the original is written, I infer that what's being considered in
> an STC option, not a user option.

I don't speak for STC HQ, nor do I want to. I am only providing to this discussion things I know as a member of the STC-Phoenix CMAC (Commiittee Managers Advisory Council).

My original statement, was:
>>>Part of STC's reorg efforts are to bring the membership fees into
>>>line with how the members *use* STC. One of the options,...

My remark was made in the context of different membership fees (level offerings), based on how members *use* STC. Differing membership levels are under heavy discussion, nothing is written in stone or pixels, yet. STC HQ is realizing that membership varies, and what members want from their membership varies. Therefore, several proposals for structured membership levels with differing fees are being considered. It is the same type of structure as differing donation levels to organizations such as Piper's Opera House. For $100 you get a seat named after you, $1000 a curtain, $2500 a door, and so forth. Varying membership levels (fees) get you different things.

<supposed scenarios>
One of the topics in this discussion was "STC member" on a resume.

Let's presume you decide that "STC member" is of value to you and will get you jobs if you can truthfully put it on your resume. In that case, you might be willing to open your wallet and spend $$ for a non-participating, no publications membership if such a memberrship level existed.

If you live in an area where there is no local chapter, you may choose a member at large with no chapter affiliation, but all the other benefits--telephone seminars, publications, etc. With no chapter affiliation, no chapter would get a rebate for your membership, and the $$ to you would be reduced.

A member outside North America may be able to substantially reduce membership costs by joining as an on-line publications member.
<\supposed scenarios>

I'm certain you can think of other types of memberships.

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com