Re: CD Life

Subject: Re: CD Life
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:53:04 -0400

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:20:10 -0600, <written_by -at- juno -dot- com> wrote:

It would be nice if vinyl records were available to back up our CDs. I
wonder how many 78s would be required to back up the Office 2000 install
CD :>)

Store it as an analog signal of a 1200-baud modem. That would be maybe
100 bytes per second, allowing for framing to ensure data quality. You'll
have 650 megabytes to install from one CD, I'll guess, so that'll be 6.5
megaseconds at 1200 baud. So that's 6500 kiloseconds. There are 3.6
kiloseconds in an hour, so we're looking at 6500/3.6 or about 200 hours.
At 5 minutes per side on a 78, we get 10 minutes per double-sided disk,
or 6 disks per hour. So you'll probably need about 1200 78-rpm disks.

Going the other direction, you'll find that you need a good chunk of
digital storage for just one side of a 78-rpm record, to make sure
you preserve whatever fidelity the 78 had, assuming you're trying to
capture music, not just data from a 1200-baud modem whistle.

I've just winged all the calculations without so much as cross-checking
them (not even against my earlier paper-tape numbers) to see if I'm in
the ballpark. Could someone else try an insanity check on my math?

I think we're strongly into Friday here.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com