Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: Sabahat Ashraf <techwhirling -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:08:04 -0700

Following this conversation, here is my take on a few points:

* A supporter of the STC, I would not, however, want TECHWR-L to get
to a place where one had to jump through hoops to join--whether it be
STC membership, payment or anything of the sort. I joined it
thrice about joining anything that required a membership fee or any
other thing that made me think more than once about it.

* I like the idea of taking it towards being "collective", or
something of the nature of PBS. And here's a thought: TECHWR-L could
have the same relationship with the STC that PBS/NPR have with
organizations like the goverment. I might be getting a little
complicated here, but would a steering committee ["Board of
Directors"?] consisting of a number (majority) of elected members'
reps, the Chairpeople of Tech Writing/Communication departments at
universities, the Presidents of the STC and other TW/TC organizations
[INTECOM, the British ATWE or whatever it is, the German Tek Author or
whatever it is, the Indian TWIN, come to mind], a rep from student
groups from universities [like Rensselaer's Graduate Discussion Group
for Tech Comm students] and so on be a good idea? [Or am I losing it?
Was that last sentence too long?]

* Also, just a voice for saying this might be a good time to consider
making the list *less* commercial? I have been okay with the
controlled extent to which Eric and Deborah took the list towards
paying for itself, but maybe now we can take a step back?

Sabahat.
--
[Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf]
http://iFaqeer.blogspot.com