Re: Help - Salary info

Subject: Re: Help - Salary info
From: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:50:30 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

All together now: "It depends."

I've had the STC survey used as a basis for salary/contract rates for me and junior writers I've hired (so it can carry weight). It's a tool that a lot of writers use to start salary discussions, and bringing it up shouldn't be an issue just because it's an STC survey, though of course data is limited to STC members. In my area (Denver), the information in the survey is fairly consistent with the information on Salary.com, what's listed in job ads, and other information I've come across. I've also had situations where it *was* only the starting point. I also used it in my very first job to make the point that they wanted to grossly underpay me (the company was notorious for that and I wasn't having any). FWIW, I find Salary.com useful as a general tool, but they have so many job classifications that *could* be applicable that it's difficult to find the right one.

But it's definitely a valid point to be able to go into the meeting admitting shortcomings, such as if your area isn't well represented. A great rhetorical tool, to acknowledge another's argument and then still make your point. Past salary is important too, but if you're moving into a new arena then it's harder to work from that point.

MTC
Lisa