Re: Dorky grammar question

Subject: Re: Dorky grammar question
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:37:45 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 6:15 PM

> Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> >
> > ...The phrase itself describes the manner in which the rules
> > are used.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Context really matters; otherwise, computers could do our job.

The only thing that context determines is whether the use of the
phrase "set of rules" is grammatically correct for the application.

> It *needs* to be deleted? That's an editorial decision, and your stylistic
> preferences may not be the same as hers or those of her client or employer.

That's true, she or her client or employer might not know or care
whether their document uses correct grammar (although the
fact that she started this thread in the first place is an obvious
indication that she does care even if she doesn't think anyone else
in her company will). But there are no grammatically correct
circumstances under which "rules" in "set of rules" can be the
subject. None. Any attempt to use that phrase if "rules" is meant
to be the subject is simply bad grammar. But yes, there are
certainly circumstances where nobody cares if the grammar is bad.
Hopefully, though, the tech writer will always care enough to know
even if the eventual decision is that there is some reason to let the
bad grammar stand.

Besides, do you really want to go head-to-head on this with her
mother, the former English teacher?

Gene Kim-Eng

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com