Re: Secondary window vs. popup? (take II)

Subject: Re: Secondary window vs. popup? (take II)
From: Zola <zola -at- zolaweb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:24:59 -0400

At 11:45 AM 8/17/2004, Geoff Hart wrote:

You sure about that? I tested the "target=blank", without JavaScript, in my browsers (Safari on Mac OS-X and IE 5.2 ditto) with the popup blocker enabled, and it worked just fine. In any event, any popup blocker that stops you from opening a link in a new window _when that's what you want to do_ isn't worth the time to download it imho.

I will second this, Geoff. This issue came up when the programmers of the online game I worked on wanted to use a java popup window for help links.

We had a number of people with different browsers and blockers try it out (nice thing about an online game is you always have folks around willing to test these things), and it always works. The reason for this is because it is *not* an automatic process, you have clicked a link which tells your program that you *want* to see the item.

target="_blank" is also unaffected because that is an html command that simply says "open this link in a new browser" and isn't a popup at all.

Zola

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. We're going to try to take over the world!!" ---Pinky and the Brain

Visit me at <www.zolaweb.com>!

ICQ#2048151

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com