Re: Quote from August 2004 Technical Communications magazine.

Subject: Re: Quote from August 2004 Technical Communications magazine.
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:49:25 -0400

> Judy Glick-Smith writes:
>
> "If we don't recognize quickly what the impact of the current environment
> is going to be, we could die out, and the business analysts and product
> designers will take over. All of today's technical communicators will be
> working at Wal-Mart and driving busses"
>
> What say you?

I say Ms. Glick-Smith has stepped up as the candidate epitomizing the
technical secretary. No, seriously. If this is becoming newsworthy or
noteworthy NOW, then Ms. Glick-Smith is severely behind the ball.

The nature of our profession is always in flux. What our roles are
within our companies will always change. Those who know this and who
are not afraid to evolve have nothing to fear. The rest, well, yeah...
Wal-Mart always has openings...

Prime example: Everyone in my tech writing department has a MSDN
license, uses Visual Studio .NET not just to look at code but author
in it, and is involved in the product design process at one level or
another.

The days of the wordsmithing or desktop-publishing monkeys are slowly
coming to an end, but only those who don't shed their tails will die
out.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com