Re: Quote from August 2004 Technical Communications magazine.

Subject: Re: Quote from August 2004 Technical Communications magazine.
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:48:09 +0000

TechComm Dood wrote:

The nature of our profession is always in flux. What our roles are
within our companies will always change.

I'll second that, and not just from the perspective that greater technical knowledge is often expected today. While writing may remain the central skill for most people on this list, there are a lot of related fields, such as design, marketing, journalism, and training, that can help keep you employed.

I've done all of these, but the percentage of my income from each of these varies considerably. If I think back over the last 8 years, the percentage of my income that came from technical writing has varied between 15-85%. The rest has come from these other areas, in proportions that varied almost as much.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com