Re: Important Stuff They Don't Teach In Tech Writing School

Subject: Re: Important Stuff They Don't Teach In Tech Writing School
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:45:50 -0400

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

> I mean that the same features that supported the needs of the
> product's intended customer base could also support a number
> of other applications, but a marketing analysis indicated that
> the potential revenue that could be brought in by advertising
> those applications to a different customer base could never
> equal the cost of supporting those customers with documents,
> tech support, etc., so a strategic decision was made to reply
> to all inquiries about such potential applications with "that
> application is not supported." In other words, "we're not
> claiming the product can do that, we're not instructing anyone
> on how the product might be made to do it and we accept
> no responsibility or liability if someone tries to use the
> product in any manner other than what we advertise and
> instruct and the results are bad." You'll find similar
> statements in the fine print of most product documents.
> Under those conditions, a tech writer who continues to try
> to document the unsupported features and defends the effort
> with the mantra of "customer advocacy" has definitely lost
> sight of his/her objectives.

Gracious goodness! Of course. This is grounds for dismissal in most
places. Some even call it "insubordination." A technical writer
*arguing* with supervisors and developers over WHAT to document? I find
that incredible, actually, but then, perhaps I am naive.

Bonnie Granat
www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Mobile: 617-319-7461