re: Cross-cultural communication: a resource

Subject: re: Cross-cultural communication: a resource
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 07:42:58 -0700 (PDT)

---------------------------
Geoff Hart passed along a resource on cross-cultural communications.
---------------------------
Interesting article. Two things struck me about this.

1. I don't know. It seemed like common sense. I've encountered each of these problems in one form or another in non-cross-cultural settings. Bacially, the advice is:

* coach team members on proper terms
* confirm that everyone is on the same page
* provide context to your communications
* get to know your coworkers
* show team members respect

Sounds like pretty solid, and common, advice. IMHO. :-)

2. I was struck by the similarities between the advice this article gives for interacting with Indian workers and advice given for interacting with Japanese workers. In fact, you could do a search and replace on Indian to Japanese and it would be applicable. The similarities go right down to the "show them respect" advice. I am amazed at how many people, including news resources, still lump Japan in with industrializing (not industrialized) nations. Like Japan is still trying to get its first powerplant up and running, or something.

That said, this newsletter and site looks interesting. I particularly like this bit about the difference between stereotypes and generalizations.....a distinction that seems to be lost on many.

http://new.globesmart.com/about_globesmart.cfm?content=9

On a related topic, the latest issue of Technical Communication has a review of a book called _Cross-Cultural Psychology_. Haven't gotten to the review yet, but has anyone read this book?

Thanks for the link. This is an issue that I always find fascinating.

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com