RE: Another question I've had for years...

Subject: RE: Another question I've had for years...
From: John Wilcox <JWilcox -at- zetron -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:24:23 -0700

> Years ago, I usually replied saying that I would pursue these
> SMEs doggedly. In the last year, I've softened that response
> and changed it to say that I would approach each SME
> according to his personality type. For instance, if an
> engineer only liked to talk to other engineers, then I would
> try to show him that I was taking a real interest in what he
> was doing.
>
> If another SME liked to talk while he worked, then I would
> write while he worked. If another liked to talk over
> coffee...well, you get the idea.
>
> Today's question is simple: Is there a better answer to this
> question than the one that I've detailed above?

I say that I first find out how the SME prefers to answer questions.
Typically this would be either schedule a meeting or just send them an
e-mail and let them answer at their own pace. Then I say that if this
doesn't achieve the desired result, I gently remind the SME that we are on
the same team, working toward the same goal: delivering a quality product
and assuring our company's success. I also say that I let the SME know that
my documentation will help his product be received better, which will make
him look better too.

Regards,
John Wilcox, Technical Writer
Zetron, Redmond