Re: Expectations too high?

Subject: Re: Expectations too high?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:36:30 -0700

You'll no doubt get a lot of advice about how to coax information
out of people who have product knowledge, but IMO, until you
can develop product knowledge of your own, you will be in this
situation forever. You need to be able to not only gather previously
gathered information together and know "what a manual should
look like," but also what content one should contain. Your objective
as a technical writer is not to "get a document out of" others, but
to be able to produce it yourself.

OTOH, if your "unique situation" is that you aren't actually a
technical writer at all but have just had the work dumped on you
because you're all there is, you should have every expectation
that the rest of the development team will will carry some of the
load and your manager should be out there getting you the help
you need to get the job done.

Gene Kim-Eng