Re: Carpal Tunnel Excuses

Subject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Excuses
From: "Lisa A. Roth" <roth -dot- lisa -at- jimmy -dot- harvard -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:45:44 -0400

Just a side note:

There are other wrist conditions besides carpal tunnel that can be caused and/or aggravated by repetitive motions. I myself occasionally suffer from a "ganglion" which is basically a lump that forms on one the top of or both wrists (most often the right because it gets the most use). The muscles (tendons? ligaments?) in question here are the little stringy ones that you can see move on the tops of your hands when you wiggle your fingers. (Carpal tunnel syndrome affects the underside of the wrists, as I understand it.) I have heard that this happens somewhat frequently with volleyball, tennis, and piano players, too, but I am not positive.

For me, things that set it off are repetitive or long-term "grasping" or "pushing down" movements, such as clicking the mouse a million times, complicated graphics work that involves a lot of click-and-drag, driving for long periods (!!), or even grasping the subway bar if I can't get a seat. Constant bending back of the wrist contributes, as well. (Strangely, typing doesn't really affect me.) This all began in my old days doing *real* cut and paste and complicated graphics work both on the computer and on light tables.

According to my doctor, the only potential help for this condition is either rest or surgery, and the surgery gives you *maybe* a 50/50 chance of the ganglion not returning, so I naturally chose rest. : )

I, thankfully, have not had this return in quite some time and when it does, it has been mild; a few days with a pharmacy-bought wrist immobilizer does the trick. (It has a metal insert that prevents me from bending the wrist does does not inhibit other motion.) I can even continue working during this period with nary a problem.

This is because I finally (after many years) decided to buck the trend of everyone else's advice and find my own best way to sit, set-up my desk, etc. For example, for me, wrist rests and keyboard trays, along with the oh-so-touted "negative tilt" are a life sentence to pain and suffering. Instead, my keyboard and mouse are on the desktop, I work with a "positive tilt" (i.e., elbows @ 90 degrees or less), and I always rest my elbows on the arms of my chair. (All evil things in most ergonomists' eyes.)

My advice: It is a good thing to discuss these topics and share advice on a forum such as this because these conditions affect many of us, but don't hesitate to go your own way for a few weeks and try something else. Also, just because something hurts in the wrist doesn't mean it's automatically carpal tunnel. Have your doctor check that. The awareness of carpal tunnel syndrome is so much greater than other problems, that some people might try following advice for relieving carpal tunnel syndrome when they should perhaps do the *opposite* (as in my case).

Good luck and feel well!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com