Re: Code comments as Documentation

Subject: Re: Code comments as Documentation
From: Seth Johnson <seth -dot- johnson -at- RealMeasures -dot- dyndns -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:01:19 -0400

You could point them at the Leo editor:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

Code editor proposals often induce religious wars, but developers
who use Leo are usually immediate converts.

The Leo editor lets developers maintain a code base, while also
rearranging "cloned" pieces of the code in a freely arrangeable
outline which enable you to organize the code under any structure
you please, so you can analyze it.

If they edit the cloned code, the code updates in the original
files. As they annotate their code with the outliner, that
information is inserted into the original files as comments.

Developers can thereby store useful analyses for future reuse,
while they debug the code.

You could add branches to the Leo outline as well, or even become
a partner in the process of analyzing the code.

I had a horrible mess of code that I've worked on for years; Leo
gave me the ability to analyze it that no other editor possibly
could.

It's just that you'd have to get adoption in the company.
Possible with a small company.

It could probably also be a very good tool for a tech writer in
its own right.

Seth Johnson

jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com wrote:

--