RE: Entry level??!!

Subject: RE: Entry level??!!
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:11:00 -0600

John,

I think what "L" was trying to convey is that this company claims to be looking for someone with 1 to 2 years of experience, but they describe required skills that would easily take many more years than that to develop. They're probably hoping to get someone who was downsized out of somewhere else and who is desperate for a job--ANY job.

This is evidence of how and why many salaries have gone down for tech writers over the last few years. The job descriptions have changed so that they call you and pay you as "entry level," but you're expected to do intermediate- to senior-level work. That's why last year I was offered $17/hour for a contract job with a description much like that. They wanted top skills without having to pay much for them. (I politely turned down that job rather than telling them what I thought of their offer.)

As I sit here doing the work of a senior technical writer and getting paid for the next level down, I think about this a lot. What are my choices? Take it or leave it. Fortunately, I really like my job, so it makes it easier to accept that I make some $15K less than I did when I got laid off back in 2001 from a job that I didn't like much (and more than $20K less than a friend who still works for the same company and has gotten a few raises since), but it still doesn't sit well with me all the time. I feel undervalued and unappreciated in some ways, and I can point to this as the main reason why.

And people wonder why I play the lotto when the jackpot is big. Tomorrow's Mega Millions drawing is $90+ million. Where do I buy my ticket? :-)

Donna

Donna L. Jones
Technical Writer II
Zebra Technologies Corp.