Re: Entry level??!!

Subject: Re: Entry level??!!
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:32:57 -0800

I'm a little late compared to everybody else, but since there don't seem
to be any replies from hiring managers so far, maybe this will help...

Without knowing exactly what the situation is at this company or what's
on the hiring manager's mind, it's hard to tell if there's anything "wrong"
with the picture or not. It's possible that the company is hoping to get
an experienced writer at a cut rate, but considering that the posting
says the entry-level writer will only "assist" in the documentation effort
and the industry-specific knowledge is a "preferred," rather than a
requirement, it seems likely that the hiring company really is looking
for the traditional definition of a "junior writer."

As a publications manager, I would expect a candidate with a BS/BA
and 1-2 years of experience (which, BTW, in most companies would
include time spent interning in a publications environment as a student)
to have exposure to and the ability to perform most or all of the required
tasks, *under the supervision of and taking direction from a more senior
level writer.* This might include performing the tasks listed individually
to assist that more senior level writer with the "legwork" required to
produce the full document set, or performing all of the tasks together to
produce some component of the document set or revise an existing
document. I would *not* expect that candidate to be able to balance
all of the tasks simultaneously to produce the entire suite or even one
complete document from that suite without guidance or supervision
from that more senior writer.

Gene Kim-Eng