Re: ADMIN: New Poll Question

Subject: Re: ADMIN: New Poll Question
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:25:12 -0500

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:46:56 -0800, Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

One of the reasons I came up with the question is that many people are obviously
posting and reading at work, and I'm curious about how that is regarded. One
poster considered reading the list as job-related, but, without taking sides, I
can just as easily imagine others believing the opposite. In other words, how is
reading the list regarded ethically?

Some of us (well, at least one) work hourly and log time worked to
the minute. I do my work on a W98 machine, and log the time via a telnet
connection to my Linux machine. Thus when the Blue Screen of Death
appears on W98, the log is undisturbed. The only time the Linux machine
croaks is when the power goes off for longer than the UPS can handle.
Look:

$ uptime
4:08pm up 20 days, 3:15, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I read TECHWR-L off the clock.

On the other hand, at some other jobs there was no clocking, just a
job to be done and a deadline, all on salary. Stay until 3:00 am to
get it done? Sure. Take a break from 10:00 pm to 11:00 pm to nap,
read Dilbert, or eat pizza? Sure, that too.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com