Any advice on moving from older Palm device to current?

Subject: Any advice on moving from older Palm device to current?
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:04:03 -0800

Time to tap the collective wisdom of Techwr-L.

My (adult) daughter wants a PDA. I started a couple years ago with a refurbished Handspring, settled in and loved it, then lost it within the first year. I went right out and bought a brand-new model, plugged it into the synchronizing cradle, and immediately had all my data back in place. More recently, I moved up to the Palm Tungsten E, with better screen resolution and full color. Again, moving the data up was pretty straightforward.

Besides stock software, I've added Mapopolis and have
ready access to all the U.S. county maps that new cars
have in their GPS navigation systems, even though I do not
have the GPS itself in the PDA. The software was free, and
the maps are relatively cheap. One year of free access to
maps of any and all counties in the US ran about $40.

Rather than have her spend about $200 on a new Tungsten E, I'm prepared to buy her a refurbished older Palm device to try out and see if having its calendar/datebook and contact/phonebook info is as useful as she expects. If she decides it's not "her thing", it's cheaper by far than jumping right to the new model. If, on the other hand, she embraces the technology, I'm confident she can easily port the data from the older PDA to a new one.

She has no need for the camera capabilities of the Zire or the cellphone functionality of the Treo.

We can get a refurbished Palm IIIxe for $48, then get $20 back as a rebate.

A tiny bit of googling turned up one horror story about Palm IIIxe:
http://www.faughnan.com/palm.html#PalmIIIxe

Can anyone in the Techwrl-L community share THEIR experiences with either the Palm IIIxe OR with making the generational jump from PalmIII to Palm's latest OS 5.

Thanks!
--
Guy K. Haas
guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com | gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com